[H-GEN] Apache and redirects

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Tue Dec 14 01:35:36 EST 1999

Michael Anthon wrote:

> Well, bugger me !!  It works, thanks !

(Another satisfied customer.  :-)

> Upon closer inspection, I can see
> that the request that I was typing in was getting a / appended somewhere,
> perhaps by me, not sure now.  I just type in http://10.10.10.2/netsaint and
> it got the redirect, so maybe I was adding the /.
>
> Not quite sure if I understand exactly what Apache is doing here, but I
> guess it processes the request for /netsaint and decides the it needs to be
> redirected to /netsaint/ and includes the ServerName value in the redirect?

Yes, that's what it does.  In HTTP URLs,
  http://10.10.10.2/netsaint
is not the same as
  http://10.10.10.2/netsaint/

Because it would be too confusing to say "not found" to the first,
Apache will usually do a redirect to the second if there exists a
directory of that name.

--
Martin

It reminds me a bit of World War II. France (Netscape) has fallen, and
the Battle of Britain is being fought for the Web, with the stalwart
resistance of the Apache Group holding up the juggernaut till the rest
of the free world can get its act together. Whether Linux and the rest
of the open source movement, or the Justice Department and the courts,
play the role of America, I leave to history to determine.
				-- Tim O'Reilly