[H-GEN] Apache and Virtual Hosts

Mark Suter mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Thu Dec 9 20:31:40 EST 1999

Folks,

Jason McDonald wrote:
> Well I could be wrong (I'm reasonably new at Apache configuration), but if
> both your servers have the same IP (which according to nslookup they do),
> how will your server tell which one is being accessed?  Surely you need
> two different IP addresses so that Apache can work out which set of
> pages to serve.

Apache does "named based virtual hosting", as the following
describes.

    http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/

Nikolai Lusan wrote:
> I am including an exert from the httpd.conf so people can see what I am
> doing. Any assistance is appreciated.
> The machines IP is 130.102.32.23 and it's name is stevens.psy.uq.edu.au
> also the name fire.humbug.org.au resolves to it :)
>
> NameVirtualHost 130.102.32.23
>
> <VirtualHost 130.102.32.23>
>         ServerAdmin nikolai at humbug.org.au
>         DocumentRoot /var/virt/fire.humbug.org.au
>         ServerName fire.humbug.org.au
>         ErrorLog /var/log/apache/fire.humbug.org.au-err
>         TransferLog /var/log/apache/fire.humbug.org.au-trans
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 130.102.32.23>
>         ServerAdmin nikolai at humbug.org.au
>         DocumentRoot /var/www
>         ServerName stevens.psy.uq.edu.au
>         ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error.log
>         TransferLog /var/log/apache/transfer.log
> </VirtualHost>

This looks correct with the possible exception of a "Port 80"
directive.  Try "Apache -S" to see what Apache is doing.

Yours sincerely,

- -- Mark John Suter | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au  | what you think I said, but I am not sure
PGP encryption is OK | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1162 2316  | what I meant.                  anonymous