[H-GEN] New Machine

Murray Spork murray at bucks.net
Mon Dec 6 12:19:23 EST 1999

From: Frank Brand...

[...]

> With the Athlon board costing $339 and the Athlon package being nearly $800
for
> a 500 MHz. Maybe consider a P3 550 at $675 and a reasonable motherboard say
> under $200. That package would be similar to the Athlon package....the
> question is then, is an Athlon 500 faster than a P3 550  (well, could be
> depending on what you are running, certainly reports of Athlon floating point
> performance are good)? And do you want to be one of the bleeding edge users? I
> do wonder about the maturity of Athlon boards, I have heard no bad reports but
> the chipset is still an AMD special as far as I can tell.

It seems to me that a single Celeron system would give the best bang for buck.
But I had decided on being a little more bleeding edge than that. I figured that
if I'm spending $1700 on a 21" monitor (my eye sight is getting pretty bad) I
may as well spend a few hundred extra to get a faster machine.

Besides  -- I like the idea of AMD giving Intel a run for their money. :-)

Murray Spork