[H-GEN] New Machine

Murray Spork murray at bucks.net
Mon Dec 6 10:02:26 EST 1999

[...]

From: Frank Brand ...
> Well, SMP is a complication but is getting better with every new kernel. It
> seems to me this is a simple problem...if you really need SMP go with the dual
> Celerons but  a lot of people who want SMP and dual processors really do not
> need that functionality. If you do not need dual processors you will get
better
> performance with an Athlon I think. However an Athlon will set you back at
> least $500 and a board more.

ASUS K7M Slot A Motherboard ($399) + Athlon 500Mhz ($449)
Total = $848

Abit BP6 ($299) + 2 x Celeron 433Mhz ($159)
Total = $617

http://www.concomp.com.au/

(if anyone knows of a cheaper dealer please let me know)

I've decided to go for the Athlon.

Maybe I'll have enough spare cash next year to get a dual Celery as well.

Thanks for the help Frank.

Murray Spork.