[H-GEN] FTP login by wtmp?

Luke Grant Luke.G at uq.net.au
Mon Aug 23 00:04:02 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 11:38  23/08/99 +1000, you wrote:

>I would be interested in the general perspective from the point of view of
>an ISP Sysop...

Untill about 2 weeks ago i was sysopping for an ISP and on the few
occasions that thing like this in nature occured I seem to recall putting
everything on hold untill the problem had been dealt with......

>Is this something that should be taken seriously by an ISP?

Well yes......especialy since ISP's are not considdered common carriers and
they can be sued for any damage their clients cause.

>Is it reasonable to expect a response to such an abuse report, and if so,
>what would be the maximum time for the response?

I would expect a phone call almost imediately at least to say that they had
recieved the report......for their repuation if for nothing else.

>Is there now so much noise generated by people reporting abuse that there
>simply is not enough time to investigate and respond any more?

Well i can't speak for IHUG, but the ISP i was working for had very few
problems where more than a couple of port scans or the likes were run.

>Is there anything else I can do to get their attention (within reasonable
>bounds, of course)?

send emails to sales, public relations, and management. They crap all the
shit usualy and the network admins are oblivious to it so if they see
something that looks like a problem they will follow it up for you.
Espesialy management.

Luke