[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT [long; both informative and then relig ious]

Gearon, Paul pgea at qcom.com.au
Wed Aug 4 21:13:11 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Gearon, Paul" <pgea at qcom.com.au>)

> > I dont by any means like or prefer to use NT but like many other admins,
> am forced to use it.
> > It is possible to *purchase* a telnet daemon for NT and then remotely
> log into the box.
> > Configuring NT from the command line is *aweful* and is not readily
> suggested as a means to fix
> > something. But if you desperatly need to do it that way, then it is
> possible.
>
> Some of our NT boxes here run telnetd, but a number of programs that
> _seem_ to be perfectly normal command-line things (like compilers, say)
> _won't run_ in a telnet session, presumably because somewhere they make
> an assumption they're in a local command window.  Another example is
> some versions of the NT telnet client.  (Imagine a unix system that
> didn't let you telnet through one box to another -- they'd be laughed
> out of town.)

Might I recommend U/Win from AT&T?  It's still in beta, but it's VERY nice.
The project is being led by David Korn.  It contains many of the features
you have been discussing, including a telnetd.  It provides a _compliant_
ksh (fully compliant because it was written by the author of ksh himself!)
and lots of command line utilities.  You can run bash in it, but I wouldn't
recommend asking the mailing list on how to do it.  I have not seen anyone
mention a single bash feature which David could not show how to do an
equivalent in ksh.  He's very defensive of his shell  :o)

It also provides a wrapper for MS-VC++ with the cc command (it compiles
posix code, not Win32 code, though it is possible to call out to win32 DLLs)
and a telnet client (I just tested it by telnetting into my NT based work
machine and then telnetting into another box).

Not a perfect system, but very nice all the same.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.  (Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")