[H-GEN] Re: Internal Modem and Linux

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Tue Aug 3 23:03:40 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi Rob,

> > Has anyone had experience with the Mitsubishi modems (int or ext)?
>
> Yep. Not good experiences, mind you.

What sort of "not good" experiences?  Slow connects, dropouts, slow
transfers, faulty modems?

> > They seem to be priced around the same as the WedExcel modems,
> > and the only reason I ask is that I know some ISPs have had
> > seriously high failure rates regarding WebExcel modems.
>
> Huh? What do you mean by "failure"?

Well, Alwyn at Soft Tech still has only 33k6 connections (nope, no 56k
available) and when I spoke to him a while ago he had 3 or 4 dead WebExcel
external modems there, and had already had more than this die on him.  He
said that they were the modems he has noticed the highest failure rate with.

By failure, I mean they stopped powering up, receiving calls, or just
refused to communicate properly while establishing a connection.

Regards,
Hilton