[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT [long; both informative and then religious]

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Aug 3 06:51:18 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au>)

"Doug Young" <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au> writes:

> Oh, one thing that might be interesting/helpful is a "bug log". ie, a
> list of problems/inconsistencies/annoyances you encounter, optionally
> categorized by where the problem lies (software, documentation, user
> mindset) or including notes on what sort of fix would help you out.

If you use debian, have a look at http://bugs.debian.org/, and
http://packages.debian.org/packagename (eg:
http://packages.debian.org/bash).

Debian's bug tracking system is very good, and often has useful
information that's not debian-specific.

> It'd be interesting reading at the very least, and considering a number of
> people on this list are free software authors/contributors there's even a
> chance a number of them will get fixed.

This is also the case for Debian---the BTS sends reminder mails for
bugs that have been `open' for too long, relases are delayed if
there are too many `release-critical' bugs, and so forth.

I'm not aware that RedHat has an open BTS like this, but I'm led to
believe that NetBSD (and maybe FreeBSD?) do too.

jason

--
____   Every once in a while, you catch a memory leak,   /"\ ASCII ribbon
\ _/__ realise that the operating system hasn't crashed, \ /   campaign