[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT [long; both informative and then religious]

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Mon Aug 2 20:39:44 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

Doug Young wrote:

> The original question to which I was seeking an answer  ... which could NOT
> be provided readily by any known documentation was eventually answered by a
> couple of guys in this list in a very few lines

Your original question seemed to me to be a little vague -- that's
probably just because you're coming at the problem from a different
direction, not because you're inherently vague.  I hope you can
understand that's going to lead to a variety of different answers -- you
should feel happy that some of them _were_ helpful, rather than being
upset that some were not.

> When one is merely trying to get some basic function sorted,  whats the use
> in confusing them totally with long treatises on the more esoteric aspects
> of issues that are not immediately critical.

Maybe once your network is basically working you'll be able to cast a
more experienced eye over the replies and the networking documentation,
and learn some of the reasons _why_ what you just did worked.
Presumably that knowledge is the point of struggling through doing it
yourself.

> The more experienced possibly
> can make use of complicated explanations (including those in MAN's &
> HOWTO's), but newbies to *nix need something more explicit.

HOWTOs are meant to do that.  Perhaps you could fire off an email to
some of the authors of the networking documentation giving (politely and
concretely) an explanation more appropriate to newbies.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only