[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT [long; both informative and then religious]

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Mon Aug 2 19:59:56 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Raymond Smith <raymonds at uq.net.au>)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Doug Young wrote:
> Its interesting that Crown Law has finally moved into the 20th century,
> (even if the faithful find it hard to understand why they don't have command
> line Debian or whatever)  but the comment I made was in relation to the
> mainstream Justice Department, which )as of five minutes ago)  has yet to
> make any significant move away from a DOS based system

If I may ask, which part of the Department of Justice? I'll take your
snide comment 'five minutes ago' favourably and assume that you work
for them. So which bit have you dealt with?

I've seen that Crown Law uses Word, I believe that DPP uses Word too. The
courts have just standardised a set of Word templates so my guess is that
they would be using word too. I'm just wondering which "mainstream" bit I
am missing.

And, to my knowledge, they have never used Debian. Nor did they ever use
a "command line" interface. They went through a menu-driven document
management system like SoftSolutions, the venerable AutoMenu, or
WordPerfect Office (an ancient WordPerfect application).

In short this is irrelevant to your greater point, which is, that you
prefer a GUI to CLI, and the Re-install-from-scratch methodology to the
Read-Configure-Backout-Reread-Reconfigure approach.