[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Aug 1 17:46:09 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au>)

root <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au> writes:

[Warning, this doesn't really answer your question.]

> Now everyone is warmed up ..... I wonder if the experts can
> come up with a five minute plan to get routing sorted out
> on a Mandrake 6 box to allow some Win98 / Win2000 boxes with
> "real" IP's to browse the net etc ??

This is a perfect example of why I prefer to use a CLI instead of
GUIs.  Phone support of a GUI system can be frustrating, to say the
least.

If I were on the phone, I could say

        ``sudo ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.165.23
          <pause>
          sudo route add dash net 192.168.165.0 eth0''

Heck, I could even put it in an email.  Note how quick, easy and
*expidient* that solution is.

If it was a GUI, I'd have to prattle about the `My Computer' icon, and
clicking, and double-clicking that, this and the other, all with
someone at the other end who may not have the faintest idea what all
that voodoo and jiggery-pokery has to do with `surfing the net'.

jason

[Re:  documentation.  It may seem completely useless and arcane now,
but if you persevere (remember that you've got humans to ask too, if
you go about it the right way) you'll find they're actually excellent
references for when you *do* become more proficient.]

--
____   Every once in a while, you catch a memory leak,   /"\ ASCII ribbon
\ _/__ realise that the operating system hasn't crashed, \ /   campaign