[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

Gearon, Paul pgea at qcom.com.au
Sun Aug 1 10:55:10 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Gearon, Paul" <pgea at qcom.com.au>)

> IPs are _always_ assigned to network interfaces, _not_ hosts.
> This is an important point!
>
> If you've got a box with 5 ethernet cards, one on each of 5
> networks, it's going to have _5_ IPs.  The box is seen as a
> host on each of the 5 networks.  You can then configure your
> computer to act as a router between the 5 networks.

I know I'm only clouding the issue here, but don't be so
unequivocal.  Channel bonding allows more than one ethernet card
with only a single IP (though you do have to set the MAC addresses
to be the same).  :o)

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I
will
fling an enormous rock at your head.")