[H-GEN] Is there any way to use autoresponders for email in Linux?

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 1 10:58:41 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

"Glen De Witt" <wrecker at universal.net.au> wrote:
: (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Glen De Witt" <wrecker at universal.net.au>)

: Is there any way to use autoresponders for email in Linux? Sorry to be a
: little indefinite with this question, but I've been asked to look into this
: by my boss and I thought I might use the collective knowledge of the group
: to help me in my quest! Any URL's or key words I could search for would be
: much appreciated! Oh, and also, anyone know of any good docs on running
: Linux majordomo? TIA. Cheers!

Sendmail (and possibly other mailers by way of emulation for the one
great mta ;) allows for a .vacation file, which is normally sent
back to anyone emailing you during your holiday.

If you are looking for a more complicated solution (like catching
a particular subject line and reply based on that) then you can look
at procmail and scripting to write a custom unit.  I have no idea
about already available packages I'm afraid.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au
                                robert at humbug.org.au, r.brockway at uq.net.au
			 WWW:   http://www.humbug.org.au/~robert
"Since the dodecahedron has 12 faces, it makes an ideal desk calendar."
Gary Chartrand and Ortrud R. Oellermann, Applied and Algorithmic Graph Theory.