[H-GEN] Auto Proxy

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Thu Apr 22 01:22:50 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

Luke Grant wrote:

> ipfwadm runs.....
>    * incomming http request.
>       ipfwadm sends the request to port 3128 (where squid is listening)
>    *  incomming anything else ip
>       ipfwadm does normal ip masquerading for it.

An HTTP request to a proxy looks different to a request direct to the
origin server.  (It includes the host name in the Request line, etc.)
So, I don't think you can transparently redirect requests to squid: just
run it as a proxy, allow access from inside, and don't worry about
masq/ipfw aside from that.  I may be wrong.

Better I think to get people to set up manual/autoproxies per aj.  I
don't think the http_accel option is relevant.

--
Martin Pool

currently, all of civilization cannot be saved.  however, with new
compression techniques...
			-- thi