[H-GEN] Auto Proxy

David Wood dwood at plugged.net.au
Wed Apr 21 22:33:25 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Wood <dwood at plugged.net.au>)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Luke Grant wrote:
> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Luke Grant" <skywalke at webexpress.net.au>)
>
> Hi ppl,
> was wondering if anyone had any experience with setting up automatic proxy
> servers.

What we do is this:

- Squid runs like normal (port 8080 of CNAME 'proxy')
- Each Netscape Navigator instance has a preference setting in Advanced |
Proxies | Automatic proxy configuration that is set to
http://<server>/proxy.pac
- The proxy.pac file holds the rules by which the proxy should work.  Ours
looks like this:

--------------------%<-------------------------
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
        if ((isPlainHostName(host) ||
        dnsDomainIs(host, ".staff.plugged.com.au") ||
        dnsDomainIs(host, ".plugged.net.au")))
                return "DIRECT";
        else
                return "PROXY proxy.staff.plugged.com.au:8080; DIRECT";
}
--------------------%<-------------------------

- If our proxy machine goes down, we just bring up another one and change
the CNAME.

Cheers,
Dave
David Wood                   | Telephone:  +61 7 3876 7140
mailto:dwood at plugged.net.au  | Facsimile:  +61 7 3876 7142
http://www.plugged.net.au    | PGP Key available via finger
"It is only the last and wildest kind of courage that can stand
on a tower before 10,000 people and tell them that twice two
is four."  - G.K. Chesterton