[H-GEN] Socket 7 processors

James McPherson jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 22:29:54 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs James McPherson <jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>)

Hilton Travis writes:
 > I have managed to source 2 processors at quite reasonable cost.  These are
 > 1. Intel Pentium 90 (that runs perfectly under Win98 at 100MHz)
 > 2. Cyrix P-166+ (133MHz) (overclockability untested)
 >
 > What I was wondering is this: Will the Cx 166+ give any problems under
 > Linux?  I assume the 133MHz Cyrix processor will perform better than a
 > 100MHz Intel processor, but I don't know if any problems/incompatibilities
 > will be encountered.

ooohhh mememememe!

I have a cyrix p166+ processor, but it's clocked at 150MHz. Whatever. When I
upgraded from rh4.2 to 5.0 (early 1998), there was a nasty bug in the gcc
package which resulted in continual sig11s - not very nice for the sanity or
blood pressure! RedHat's errata page had an updated package for gcc which took
account of this bug in the cyrix chip's implementation - after installing it
everything was fine. I believe the patch for the cyrix chips are now part of
the standard gcc and egcs source so you _shouldn't_ have a problem with them.

BTW, since I installed rh5.2 on my machine last year (september?) I have had
no problems related to the cpu. the ide channels, otoh.... just remember to
edit /usr/src/linux-${VERSION}/drivers/block/ide.{c|h} to define
REALLY_FAST_IO and change the initial mult_count to something which I can't
remember offhand - it's on dejanews so try there instead.

cheers,
James C. McPherson
--
Unix Systems Administrator            Phone: +61.2.9850.9418
Office of Computing Services            Fax: +61.2.9850.7433