[H-GEN] How do I swap disks in RedHat 5.2?

Peter J Arnold pjarnold at aitnet.net
Fri Apr 9 22:29:04 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Peter J Arnold <pjarnold at aitnet.net>)

G'day good people,
I have a standard Redhat 5.2 install on a 486 box with a scsi card. I currently have
RedHat install on sdb as per:
######
# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/sdb1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
elle:/export/opt3/distribs      /opt/distribs   nfs      user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto
1 1
elle:/export/online_doco/www    /opt/www        nfs      user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto
1 1

# df -k
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sdb5            1980209  374207  1503654     20%   /
/dev/sdb1              16833     770    15194      5%   /boot
elle:/export/online_doco/www
                      673699  578969    93982     86%   /opt/www
#####

I want to swap the disk sdb for another smaller scsi disk and transfer all the current
installation over onto the new disk.

I currnetly have both old and new disks installed but the new one is not fdisked or
formated.

Can I boot off the current installation, fdisk, format and transfer all the data to
the new disk, swap SCSI id's (between old and new disks) and reboot?

Any suggestions/help/comments/pointers to relevant manuals etc would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA
Peter Arnold
| email pjarnold at aitnet.net | To err is human |
| Brisbane, Qld, Australia  | To moo bovine.  |