[H-GEN] Logging over serial ports

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Fri Apr 9 03:14:06 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

David Jericho wrote:

> That means squid access logs, {tcp,udp,icmp}log files, syslog, apache
> logs, mailer logs.
>
> As far as I've been able to manage, I can't get squid to dump its access_log
> to syslog. Nor apache's logs to syslog. Starting to see my problem now?
>
> I've got 3 programs on each machine, that are writing actual files to
> disk with logging information. I want to get this information across a
> plain ascii serial link to a logging box which will then pull it apart
> for storage and processing. The text dumped over the serial link should
> be able to be read by a human on a dumb terminal. But _all_ logged
> information should be sent.

IIRC, there's a module/utility/option/something for Apache that will
redirect log output to syslog.  If there isn't one already, it would be
pretty simple to write it.

Bear in mind that syslog is not authenticated, etc...

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martin.pool at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Pty. Ltd.     |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only