[H-GEN] Zip drives?

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 8 01:44:02 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

Martin Pool wrote:

> Has anyone any comments on Zip drives as a backup medium under Linux?

Just fine. Very straightforward, and quite durable. Just watch out for
early batches of the media with the Click Of Death. ZipDisk clones don't
suffer from this, though.

Then again, I've never done the entire
tar-and-zip-the-entire-filesystem-onto-Zip thing - I'm just keeping
spare kernels and trivia and whatnot. YMMV.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland