[H-GEN] IDE CDrom on a non-plugnplay

R B louisxii at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 8 00:48:52 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs R B <louisxii at uq.net.au>)

A valid question, and not taken personally.
All 3 CD settings :MA, SL, CS were tried.
The Manual had been studied in detail. Possibly an unwise thing to do
but I wanted to cover all foreseeable avenues, (read desparate and then
some) so that I could say I got it going. Alas, not this time.
The M/B is software configured via the BIOS. The ide controller is
onboard (up to mode 4)
Both ide channels are enabled, (no jumpers for this) set to Auto -mode
setting I tried forcing mode 0, but still no detection. The BIOS has a
"detect ide" menu option. I attempted some manual settings but not
knowing what configuration of Hard drive it would want to see; that also
failed.
It seems the unit must be correctly regitered with the BIOS so that it
can be accessed. Linux could not find it. The CD does work properly. I
checked it back in the original machine and all is detected correctly.

Ron