[H-GEN] re: tape drives

James McPherson jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 6 02:32:18 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs James McPherson <jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>)

Luke Grant writes:
 > trying to do a tape backup using tar in redhat 5.2
 > the following command line worked fine in slackware running kernel 2.0.29
 > but wont run in redhat.
 > tar -czlpf /dev/nht0   .
 >
 > have also tried the following in case the device was different.
 >
 > tar -czlpf /dev/hd0  .

ouch! nononononono

 > tar -czlpf /dev/rmt0  .
getting warmer.

How about trying

tar zclpf /dev/nrst0 .

instead - the /dev/nrst0 refers to the first _non-rewinding_ (this is
important if you're doing multiple consecutive operations to tape) scsi tape
device.

You could also try looking at the contents of (I think) /proc/devices and
/proc/scsi to see what is there. Also, try using the mt command on the files
/dev/*st* and see which ones are actually valid for your system.

(ie, do mt -f /dev/nst0 status etc).

James C. McPherson
--
Unix Systems Administrator            Phone: +61.2.9850.9418
Office of Computing Services            Fax: +61.2.9850.7433