[H-GEN] IP Masquerading

Jason Henry Parker ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 30 04:40:35 EDT 1998

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Ben Fowler wrote:
> on the fly, however if I remember rightly, IP masq support itself _must_
> be compiled into the kernel and not as a module (as opposed to the helper
> modules which can be made as modules), perhaps someone would care to
> verify this?

[Guys, can we *please* trim quoted text to the bare minimum?  I mean,
quoting the whole message just to add two or three lines at the
top/bottom is very aggravating, and is very poor nettiquette.  I won't
name names, you know who you are.]

Ben, you're nearly right.

IP Masquerading *must* be compiled into the kernel, it cannot be
compiled as a module.  The "helpers" *must* be compiled as modules,
they cannot be compiled into the kernel.

(For values of "can" and "cannot" which apply to non-gurus, of
course.)  A quick look at linux/Documentation or doing a "make
menuconfig" would have proved this beyond doubt in a few seconds.
Indeed, I'd quote those sources here if I had a working computer at the
moment.

---
  Jason Henry Parker, ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au
``All consistent axiomatic formulations of number
    theory include undecidable propositions.''