[H-GEN] IP Masquerading

Michael Anthon anthonm at tams.com.au
Wed Sep 30 04:06:03 EDT 1998

Right, this got me curious enough to check.  The kernel bits of the
masquerading CAN'T be built as modules.  You need the support built into
the kernel... here is a snippet from "make menuconfig"...
	[*] Network firewalls
[*] Network aliasing
[*] TCP/IP networking
[*] IP: forwarding/gatewaying
[*] IP: multicasting
[*] IP: syn cookies
[*] IP: firewalling
[*] IP: firewall packet logging
[*] IP: masquerading

This indicates (assuming that menuconfig has it correctly) that these
bits are either in or out, no module support.
I installed RH5.1 out of the box and stuffed around with settings for
AGES.  I finally bit the bullet and recompiled the kernel and suddenly
(without any changes to my settings or loading of modules) masquerading
started to work.

Regards
Michael Anthon