[H-GEN] Where to buy unix/unix-derivative?

Daehenoc n1455885 at student.fit.qut.edu.au
Fri Oct 23 19:05:39 EDT 1998

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Tim Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After receiving my 5th page file error in as may minutes, I've decided I'd
> like another operating system.  I have the following questions:
>
> What is the best unix style operating system for a computer with the
> configuration below?

Hi, you may as well use any of the flavours of linux available (Redhat,
Slackware, Debian) but preferably a flavour that a close friend uses and
can tell you all about as well as how to set it up!

> Where can I get said system, with applications (preferably in the $0 - $60
> price range)?

www.lsl.com.au and they will COD post you the relevant OS CD roms for
approx. $5 or less each. Apps I don't know.

> What do I need in order for two OSes to co-exist on one computer?

LILO, the LInux LOader will happily load almost whatever OS you want to
put on the PC. See the HOWTOs or ask your close friend.

> ----System Information
> Platform: Windows 95 v. 4.0
> Machine Type: Intel
> System Version: 4.0
> Processor: 586
> Physical RAM Installed: 32280 Kb
> Virtual RAM: 2093056 Kb
> Eudora Pro: Version 3.0 (32)
> Winsock: Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Jun  6 1997, at 14:08:43.

... unless you are doing CAD or something, I think that you have far too
much Virtual RAM enabled... are you sure that you got that number correct?

see www.lsl.com.au

> Lastly, I know from the website that humbug meets fortnightly.  The
> question remains: Which fortnight?  (i.e. When is the next meeting?)

Ummm - do not pass go, do not collect $200. Someone else will have to tell
you that. (I've got exams coming up :( )

Greg Vickers,
PC technician

... Daehenoc ... a.k.a The Gingerbread Man