[H-GEN] Laptops

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Fri Oct 2 23:47:36 EDT 1998

Andrew Over wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm presently contemplating the purchase of a laptop whilst in the US over
> the Christmas break.

Make sure the power supply is compatible and be very careful with the
warranty. Mostly good waranty support will only come with the better
known brands (read expensive). If the brand is sold through an agent
here, there is a good chance they will deny liability and you may get an
international warranty alright but you will need to return it to Taiwan
or where-ever to be able to claim. ie. go through customs several times
etc.

> Ideally, I'd prefer some arrangement that doesn't involve the bundling of
> MS [insert POS here], since an MS operating system is likely to remain on
> this machine for precisely as long as it takes to reformat the hard drive.

Might be difficult as I believe some manufacturers have agreements with
Microsoft that computers *must* be sold with Windows (eg Dell, Gateway -
I believe you can not buy their machines without a copy of Windows).
Might be better to take the CD and re-sell it in Australia on return.
The bigger manufacturers are getting it so cheap that the price
reduction you would get is minimal anyway.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Homepage: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand