[H-GEN] Amiga 3000 and Linux

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at usa.net
Wed Nov 11 19:02:19 EST 1998

> > I recently downloaded RedHat 5.1 for the Amy and am looking forward to
> > installing this.  The only problem I have is that I need to
> find either an
> > Ariadne (??) network card (with extra serial port) or a driver for a
> > QuickNet NIC.
>
> As far as workbench goes, I'm pretty sure you can use the SANA-II
> drivers but I'm guessing you're talking about the linux side huh...

Yes, this is a correct assumption.  I do not want the Amy to play AmigaDOS
anymore - I want it to be a completely Linux system - I can back the
AmigaDOS config up to CD-R, and restore it any time in the future if I need
to.

> Why not use the existing serial or parallel port on the amiga?

I am going to be using the existing serial port on the A3000 for a modem
connection to the Internet, and would like to get another serial port to
connect a modem for voice/fax data (if there is software available for Linux
to do this).

> I'm also surprised that there isn't a driver for the quicknet card...

So am I - these cards have been around for ages, but I can't seem to find a
kernel that supports them.

-Hilton