[H-GEN] Strange problems

Michael Anthon anthonm at tams.com.au
Tue Nov 10 22:19:24 EST 1998

I have a couple of odd things happening and would like to get some
opinions on what to try in order to resolve these issues.

1. I know bogomips isn't generally a good indicator of machine speed,
however, I have a P133 machine that is returning a value of 53.04.  Now,
as I understand it, a Pentium class processor should return a bogomips
rating of roughly double the CPU speed, so this looks a little unusual.
This machine also gives me extremely poor performance when running
samba, so I'm beginning to suspect that there might be something a
little broken somewhere.  Is there any other tests that I can run to
check the CPU speed and possibly things like cache performance etc.

2. I have a hard drive that occasionally spits the dummy.  In the normal
course of events, I will sometimes get a bunch of SCSI errors on this
particular drive.  Snippet of syslog follows.

Nov  2 15:21:14 belial kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 952726, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 04 40 79 02 00
Nov  2 15:21:14 belial kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 952727, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 3c d0 3f 00
00 02 00
Nov  2 15:21:19 belial kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 952728, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 44 c2 7b 00 00
02 00
Nov  2 15:21:34 belial kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector
1214296, absolute sector 1214359
Nov  2 15:21:35 belial kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector
1212460, absolute sector 1212523
Nov  2 15:21:36 belial kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector
1214304, absolute sector 1214367
Nov  2 15:21:36 belial kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector
1212430, absolute sector 1212493

Now, a more serious error occasionally occurs (about one a month or so..
very intermittent), whereby the drive seems to disappear from the drive
list.  What happens here is that the system goes really stupid because
the /usr partition is on this drive.  After rebooting, the drive no
longer appears in the list of SCSI devices detected.  A power off/on
cycle is required to restore the system to normal working order.
Obviously, I suspect a hardware problem with this drive, but is it
possible that it's something else ?  I think I will try and move
everything of this device and see if it's still under warranty.  Any
other ideas?

Thanks and Regards
Michael Anthon

TAMS Systems