[H-GEN] Stable RH Linux Kernel with SMP support

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sat Nov 7 01:10:51 EST 1998

David Jericho wrote:

> 2.0.xx support SMP systems. As in two cpus will be used, but the kernel has
> only two locks (iirc) and can only run on one processor.

Yeah, SMP that only supports a single processor does not seem to be such
a great innovation.

> You get the idea :) Keep upgrading those kernels till you find something
> stable.

Reports of interviews I have seen with Linus, who now seems to be taking
a much stronger interest in SMP, do not give me that much confidence
that it will be stable even by the release of 2.2...but...you never
know. I suppose only Intel processors will be supported and not AMD,
Cyrix, IDT, Rise etc.
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au