[H-GEN] ftpd

Martin Pool mbp at meesha.humbug.org.au
Thu May 28 19:41:02 EDT 1998

>I've heard that there were many problems with the redhat 5 package

There are a few problems with the stuff shipped on the CD.  If you
get all the update packages (see 'support' at www.redhat.com) then it'll
be fine.

>, seeing
>as how we're using rh5 @ qut for network admin (itb532)

Much more clueful than UQ.

>, i've got it
>installed at home. Was there a problem with the ftp package?

Are you trying to get the ftp server or the ftp client going?  To run
an ftp client, you just need ftp-*.rpm

>I checked out www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/FTP-Setup-Tips, and it says
>install netkit-B (I assume netkit-base-0.10-5.i386.rpm on the RedHat
>cdrom?) and anonftp (I assume anonftp-2.4-1.i386.rpm in the RedHat cdrom?)
>if i use rpm to install netkit-base-0.10-5.i386.rpm, rpm reports 'package
>already installed' "o.k." I think. I use rpm to install
>anonftp-2.4-1.i386.rpm and rpm reports failed dependencies: ftpserver is
>needed.

You also need wuftpd-*.rpm, which is the actual ftp daemon.  If I remember
correctly, the anonftp package just configures an existing ftp server
to provide public access.

>I'm leery of using --nodeps or --force, being a little scared to totally
>screw my system.... help?

Careful with that pistol.

--
Martin