[H-GEN] Beware the JabberRIMy my friend (X2/K56Flex/V90)

Sid Young syoung at powerup.com.au
Mon May 11 20:17:41 EDT 1998

At 19:15 11/05/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 11 May 1998, Sid Young wrote:
>
>> Your email isn't commercial in confidence as most ISP's know about RIM's
>> and Pair Gain Systems, most people don't believe Telstra only supports 9600
>> baud...
>>
>Are you sure it's 9600?  As of a couple of years ago they only supported
>2400.  (That's baud, not bps).  Which gives you a maximum bit rate of 9600
>bps by standard QPSK.  In fact IIRC even the 2400 baud was only
>half-duplex, as that's the theoretical maximum before you have to try the
>tricky stuff (orthoginal signals, trellis encoding, etc).
>
>Of course I'm happy to be corrected.
>
>Andrae

Andrae,

I had a new phone line installed at home some time back and the consultant
asked me what I was going to use it for, when I said data (modem) he
informed me about the 9600 Baud Limit, it previously had been 2400 but they
had to up it for their own IS services so 9600 it was.

He then suggested that they could (for an extra fee) sell high quality
lines guaranteed to work at 14.4k this is what they offer to business for
fax lines.

They test each copper pair to find one that will meet their 14.4K
guidelines and you get that (for a fee). I, of course laughed at the idea
of paying extra for my new line when most analogue lines are capable of
24,600  26,400 and 28,000 (or better if you are close to the exchange).

When I worked at powerup, (in the early days when their was 3 of us in the
garage) 2 of the owners Joe and Byron were both ex-Telstra and confirmed
the 9600 baud limit was 'the' standard limit (at that time) I belive it
still is the limit.

Hope this clarifies what is fast becoming a muddle thread.

Sid Young
Linux!, because reboots are only for *kernel* upgrades!

http://www.synaptic.com.au
n2255291 at student.fit.qut.edu.au