[H-GEN] iBCS2

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Tue Mar 31 17:18:52 EST 1998

Gary Curtis <gary668 at aol.com> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Me too, me too.  I want to get the SCO version of UniVerse working
> on Linux.  Talk to me Chris!!!

HWEL,  I have no problems getting older SLO unix (Open DeathTrap 3
in fact) binaries to run under iBCS.   I even  found once that my
X-window startup wasn't working on Linux, and it turned out that some
of the files in my ~/bin were SLO unix binaries, and since I'd
recompiled the kernel, iBCS broke, and my shit stopped happening.

As for SLO OpenServer 5, this operating system is a barfulous hunk of
crap.  My SLO box has both ODT3 and OSR5 on it, and is currently
running OS5, so let me just check it out.

<time passes>

Hmmn, COFF static-linked binaries seem to work perfectly.   I compiled
up a medium-sized C proggy and it just ran fine.

All the system binaries (dynamic linked) ELF.   When running these,
Linux says "no such file or directory".

Probably can't find the shared libraries.
Copy them to /shlib.
No dice.

Ok, time to read the README.

<more time passes>

Hmmn, the readme says that the linux shlibs should work, but that SLO
has some extra libs that Linux don't got.  It says you need to copy
them to your linux box, but it don't say WHERE to put them.

Hmmn, If I get an ELF linked SLO OS5 binary (I chose "finger"), and
run "ldd" on it, it says it needs:

/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
/lib/libprot.so.1
/usr/lib/libc.so.1

So on my linux box I symlink those files to the actual libraries on my
SLO unix box (everything is nightmare file system crossmounted on my
machines).

# ./finger chris at stallion.oz.au

Unsupported iBSC2 function 0x8c(?)
Unsupported iBSC2 function 0x8c(?)
finger: unknown host: cluster.stallion.oz.au

(yes, the error message really does mis-spell iBCS2!)

OK, try another binary.

./ls
(correct ls output appears).

So for simple binaries, things are happening.   I don't HAVE any
complicated binaries on my SLO box, as I use it as little as  I
possibly can;  I even removed X from it.

So it appears the the obstacle to getting iBCS working is having the
shared libraries.

Now, it just happens SLO will *give* you a copy of OS5 for the cost of
the media.  This is their attempt at subverting the free unix market
by showing them how good a REAL Unix is.   Too bad their OS sucks so
hard or it might have worked.   Anyway, grab one of these (mostly)
free SLO CD's and giggle maniacally at SCO's naivete.

There's a bonus, however: once you've copied the shared-libraries from
your SLO CD onto your Linux box, the SLO CD is GREAT for keeping parrots
off your fruit trees!

Enjoy,
	Chris.

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris at stallion.oz.au - Ph+61-7-3270-4266 - PGP & MIME OK
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.