[H-GEN] Wanted: parts and help to get Unix box working

Ian Lister s350797 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 6 02:21:02 EST 1998

I am a second year Info Tech student at UQ, currently with very little
experience or knowledge of Unix systems, but good experience and knowledge
with other computer systems.

I have an old IBM RS/6000 workstation which is not in a workable condition
atm, although afaik all the hardware is working fine. My main problem is
that the video card in the machine has some kind of mini-coax connectors
on it and I have nothing that will connect to these. The machine has only
MCA slots. I guess I either need a new video card or a cable to connect
the existing card to a monitor. My second problem is that it has a
TokenRing card in it, and I want to put an Ethernet card in instead.

If anybody has any of the items I need, I would be willing pay for them
(obviously), or, preferably, swap for other parts. I have available:

* another identical workstation (missing its processor card, HD, FD,
fuses, and probably some other vital components, but still containing an
MCA TokenRing, MCA video card, and power supply),
* the video and TokenRing cards presently in my machine,
* several ISA and PCI Ethernet, TokenRing and video cards

I can't guarantee the above bits 'n' pieces work, but I have no reason to
believe that they won't and I am happy for you to test them before
entering into any deal.

I will try to bring all of the above stuff to the meeting on Saturday; I
just have to figure out how to fit it all on a bicycle %-\

BTW I apologise for the likely incohesiveness (?) of this email as I have
been writing it almost sentence by sentence all day, between lectures,
work, etc.

Ian Lister
Unix user-to-be