[H-GEN] The Australian

Paul Gearon pag at tams.com.au
Mon Jun 29 19:32:08 EDT 1998

Has anyone read todays Australian?  The first page of their last
computer section (labelled page 1 - go figure) has an article called
"Join the Resistance".  It's a discussion about Unix like OSs starting
with a big section on Linux.  It won't have much that hasn't already
been said before, but  this is the first time I've seen something like
this is a mainstream publication.

Also on the first page of the computing section (this is the first page
of the first section - page 33 - 32 pages before the above mentioned
page 1) is an article on Australian encryption export laws.
Conincidental that.  :o)    It seems the Defense Department aren't happy
about the laws being flouted and want the legislation changed.  Part of
the reason for this change is because it's claimed that we have a
loophole in the legislation which permits export via the internet even
though printed/floppy/CD type exports are illegal.

Seems to me that legislation which tries to be to explicit about
technology is bound to fail.  OTOH I understand that legislation needs
to be explicit.  Quite a quandry, huh?  :o)

Personally I feel that Martin is quite correct in saying that
chaffing/winnowing make this all obsolete and that the whole Australian
debate is about little boys wanting to grab as much imaginary power as
they can.

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Microsoft - Where every morning is the dawn of a new error.