[H-GEN] Constitutional amendments

Paul Gearon pag at tams.com.au
Thu Jun 25 20:16:18 EDT 1998

> From:	David Starkoff [SMTP:dbs at humbug.org.au]
<stuff deleted>
> A proxy of this form would be presented to the Chairman (or Madam
Chair)
> of the meeting, and be counted just like an ordinary vote.
<lots more stuff deleted>

<completely off topic>
</gripe>
This is one area of political correctness that always bothers me (though
the above usage isn't gender neutral, it still runs at odds with the
etymology of the word).  "Chairman" is short for "chair manager", hence
these other forms such as "chair-person" don't really make a lot of
sense.  I guess "Madam Chair" could be acceptable, but if we were happy
with a gender specific word wouldn't "Chairman" suffice as an
abbreviation of "Chair Manageress"?

Sorry, I'm just getting annoyed with having to find appropriate synonyms
and euphamisms all the time when everyone should know what I'm saying.
It's difficult enough trying to clearly think enough for speech for
understanding of other people for me.  :^)
</gripe>
</completely off topic>

One thing I haven't heard back on was the suggestion of including the
acceptance of digital authentication in the constitution.  I have no
problems with people saying it's a bad idea, but no-one has commented on
it at all.  Does _anyone_ have an opinion?

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Microsoft - Where every morning is the dawn of a new error.