[H-GEN] Two questions: SCSI & Dodgy motherboard?

Daehenoc n1455885 at student.fit.qut.edu.au
Wed Jun 24 09:15:52 EDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Steve Pinel wrote:

> Can anyone point me to something that says how PCs choose which is the
> bootable drive in a SCSI chain, or point out the bleeding obvious that
> I have somehow missed?

Yeah, re: other ppl's mails, you should be able to tell the scsi card
which id you want the system to boot off...

> Second Qn:  I have a 486 motherboard that I would like to ifnd a use
> for.  DOS installs fine, but if I try to install either WIndows 3.1 or
> Linux, then it does a dummy spit.  Errors occur when it tries to use a
> RAMDISK in Linux install, or gives an error in DOS extender in Windows
> install.  Guessing the memory was at fault, I replaced it (8*1Mb SIMMS)
> to no avail, as with every part including case & keyboard.  Anyone seen
> this type of fault before?  I suspect the memory control on the
> MotherBoard (as it only occurs with OSes that try to access above 640k),
> but I'm open to suggestions on how to get around this problem.

I had this EXACT same problem - in my case it was the cache controller
(replaced the cache twice (to be sure, to be sure)). You might be lucky
and only have faulty cache, not faulty cache controller. Workaround - use
the 486 board as a piece of abstract art - or a discus :) bye!!!

Greg Vickers,
R&D Technician, Quality Assurance Technician and Service Technician

... Daehenoc ... a.k.a The Gingerbread Man