[H-GEN] Printer setup help

Michael Anthon anthonm at tams.com.au
Mon Jun 22 20:00:56 EDT 1998

On Monday, 22 June 1998 2:00, Matthew Tippett
[SMTP:mtippett at linuxsa.org.au] wrote:
> About winprinters...
> ====================
>
> You don't really write a driver as such.  If I understand correclty
> a 'winprinter' acts pretty much the same as the old dot-matrix type
> printers.  That is the page has to be 'rendered' before it can be
> passed on the the printer.

"OLD" dot matrix printers????  What about the NEW dot matrix printers,
like most of the ones you can buy on the market now? (ie, anything
that's not postscript or PCL compatible, which is almost everything
except laser printers)

I have a Canon BJ-210 at home and it certainly can't do any rendering
itself.  I wonder if the real issue here is availability of the control
codes for these new printers...  personally, I can't really see much
difference between the "WinPrinters" and any other standard dot matrix
printer.  Anyone care to enlighten me ?

Regards
Michael Anthon

TAMS Systems