[H-GEN] any faster way?

Michael Dooley m.dooley at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 16 06:58:15 EDT 1998

Hi,
        I've got database (read 'directory') of around 4000 files that
I'm trying to tidy up (remove files with <5 lines) and see which files
I've deleted since I created my master database list.  This is what I
came up with, but the find is s-l-o-w.  Is there another faster
approach?

verify_db.csh < MASTER_DB_LIST

verify_db.csh

#!/bin/csh -f
set entry = $<   #read a line of input from MASTER_DB_LIST
while ($entry != 'EOF')
if (-e /databases/caveat/disulf_fix/$entry) then   #if file exists
find /databases/caveat/disulf_fix/ -name $entry -exec small.nawk {} \;
#check if file >5 lines
else
echo $entry   #print name if file doesn't exist
endif
set entry = $<   #update file name
end   #excuse crappy formatting

small.nawk