[H-GEN] web proxy parents (uq related)

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Thu Jun 11 03:24:41 EDT 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Mark J. Suter wrote:

> #include <longname.h>
> #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
>
> #ifndef PARANOID_DISCLAIMER
> #include <I_dont_speak_for_Prentice.h>
> #define PARANOID_DISCLAIMER
> #endif

[Disclaimers retained.]

> You staff account was expired on Saturday.  This action was taken because

So I noticed :) The discussion is now academic ;)

> your (former?) HOD chose not to sign for your account.  Basically,
> costs were going through the roof, so the departments are now directly
> responsible for the costs, instead of Prentice charging it directly to
> general expenses.

I actually expected it to be shutdown months ago, I knew I was living on
borrow (modem quota) time.  But I have my external a/c.

> install a rule set into your proxy - something like, 'Parent to UQ proxy
> only if its not *.au.'  Obviously, some experimentation is needed :-)

Ah cool.  That is a good idea.

>     Optimize for speed - buy out Telstra, proceed from there...
>     Optimize for bandwidth - unplug the ... [carrier lost]
>
> UQ's Proxies do have parents and they all have been upgraded over the
> last month to improve performance.  Of course, bandwidth savings would
> be a major point for any ISP.

Yep.  The poor performance I refer to goes back a ywar or more though - ie
not recent.

Thanx for the response.

Cheers,
	-Robert