[H-GEN] degrees of filesystem sickness?

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Mon Jun 8 12:27:45 EDT 1998

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Allen Grace wrote:

> In addition, fdisk is "unable to open /dev/hdb2"... partition table
> damaged?

Likely in that case :(

> As for running real OSes again: seeing as we both have partitions which
> are not usable anyway, maybe it's possible to write some kind of protected
> mode program to give us an idea of what is actually in the first block,

debugfs should be able to do that fine.

> and then if some kind person gave references to information telling us
> what is supposed to be there (An index of some kind, yes, and
> presumably a partition table... but how exactly are these set up?) then

Their are docs on the specs of the ext2fs but someone could indeed post
stuff.

> we could assemble something and manually (sic) put it in place. Having
> a look at the code for mke2fs and fdisk should be revealing. The worst
> that could happen would be that there would be even more scrambled egg on
> each respective disk, but there's not much practical difference between an
> unreadable partition and a more unreadable partition.

If you do get the broken partitions to mount, consider readonly access
while playing around :)

> But such fun things are going to have to wait for a couple of weeks, no?
> Tell me what you think.

Until humbug?  not too far away :)

I have that weekend off to so expect to be at the whole meeting! :)
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au
				r.brockway at uq.edu.au