[H-GEN] Terminal questions...

David Jericho davidj at meesha.humbug.org.au
Sun Jun 7 13:25:58 EDT 1998

On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 05:01:57PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Doug South wrote:
>
> > But then I'm thinking I've got a working machine here, and perhaps I
> > could use something under linux to act as a dumb terminal? Perhaps I
> > could hook up a null modem cable between the two computers and access
> > the p133 in this way? That way, I don't have to buy the dumb terminal if
> > the p133 isn't working (though I'd still buy it eventually, but it could
> > be some time before I get my hands on it 2-3 weeks, possibly). Is this
> > doable?
>
> Checkout the Serial howto.  You'll need a monitor for install (pc
> architecture thing) then u can dispense with it and do everything via the
> network.

OTOH, you could just run a 2.1.xx kernel. These kernels have a feature, such
that if they don't find a text mode capable video card (as in, the old
monochrome style 4K memory access), it'll automagically switch over to use the
first com port as a VT.

--
David Jericho
	Remember, delegate, pass the blame and take the fame...