[H-GEN] degrees of filesystem sickness?

Brenton Bills b.bills at student.qut.edu.au
Sun Jun 7 01:13:55 EDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Allen wrote:

> - At boot time, VFS trying to mount the root filesystem readonly causes
> multiple kernel panics,
> - mount run from an emergency disk reports "can't find an ext2
> filesystem on dev 03:42",
> - e2fsck run with any option reports that the superblock is corrupted,
> try another... so I did ("-b 8193", as it suggested) and that block
> appeared to be also.

Hmmm same thing happened to me, well.. I was running zgv a graphics file
viewer, I had just got a new graphics card an (et6100 2megs), I looked at
the first file, seemed fine, looked at the second file stuffed up the
display, slowed down did wierd things. I swapped to another vc (could just
make out a vc window from all the garble) and exectued /sbin/halt a few
times, I could here the hd clicking but it did not seem to do anything...
Anyway I ended up pressing reset, it would not boot.... I eventually
worked out somehow it(zgv or halt, dunno) deled the bootblocks. It has
also done something similar to the other drive ( a mounted drive which I
was reading the files from).

I dont know how the graphics card could have caused so many problems, I
have been using it since withthatother opsys with no worries. (excuse =
exams no time for a re-install).

Any ideas?

 o-[Brenton Bills]-o
 o-[3rd Year B.Infotech at Queensland Uni Of Technology]-o
 o-[Majoring in Software Engineering / Computer Science]-o
 o-[b.bills at student.qut.edu.au]-o