[H-GEN] Terminal questions...

Doug South dsouth at squirrel.net
Sun Jun 7 00:35:52 EDT 1998

I have half a machine here (Tower, motherboard, p133, serial ports,
parallel port) which I think is working. I had thought that it had bus
problems, but I found I have had the same problems on another machine
using the stuff I stripped out of the p133. I was getting "speckles"
under X Windows. Pushed in all the chips on the video card, and the
speckles have gone away. So now I'm thinking that the other computer is
usable.

Problem is I don't have a monitor or a keyboard, though I have .5 gig
hdd that isn't being used for much more than dead weight. I can get my
hands on a dumb terminal for about $50 and was thinking that I could use
that to access the p133.

But then I'm thinking I've got a working machine here, and perhaps I
could use something under linux to act as a dumb terminal? Perhaps I
could hook up a null modem cable between the two computers and access
the p133 in this way? That way, I don't have to buy the dumb terminal if
the p133 isn't working (though I'd still buy it eventually, but it could
be some time before I get my hands on it 2-3 weeks, possibly). Is this
doable?

TIA
Doug
--