[H-GEN] applixware

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Tue Jun 2 00:00:37 EDT 1998

> > I'm considering buying Applixware, mostly in the interests of
> > converting my wife to using Linux.  To this end it will have to be
> > compatible with the software she currently uses at work.  Does anyone
> > here know what versions of Word and WordPerfect that the Applixware
> > wordprocessor can read/write?
>
> Word and Wordperfect up to 6.0. I use it on my linux box thing here;
> Works fine. Applix+Communicator+KDE ensaddens my (32M) multia, though.

Somehow I don't feel that I would be worse off under this paradigm.
You can't possibly mean that it is worse that MSWord+Communicator+NT4
on my (32M) pc can you?!?  :^)  Anyway, if it were then it would be a
good excuse to convice Wifey that we need an upgrade!

As for the compatibility issue, what is WordPerfect up to now anyway?
I thought it was somewhere around 6.2?  This is the big one to
convince wifey that she needn't use windows.  Lack of Word97 support
is disappointing, though not insurmountable.  Does anyone know if
this is on the Applixware aganda?  RedHat's pages are surprisingly
uninformative on this matter.

TIA
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Microsoft - Where every morning is the dawn of a new error.