[H-GEN] (AUSCERT#38535) Re: The recient spate of port scans and intrusion attempts. (fwd)

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Wed Jul 22 01:53:03 EDT 1998

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, David Starkoff wrote:

> By the way, some of the excuses are cute.  You could plead intoxication (s

There is a distinction between you making yourself intoxicated and someone
else doing it (spiked drinks) too.

> 28).  Or mistake of fact (s 24).  Or, if you decided to try to hack into
> AusCERT machines, then you should be able to sell insantity (ss 26, 27) to
> the relevant tribunal.  Accidents are covered by s 23.

Or my favourite, Extraordinary Emergency (s25).   "I had to break into
that computer...my _life_ depended on it".  Gotta be able to prove it on
the balance of probabilites of course :)

> (IANAL.  I'm just studying to be one.  YMMV.  HTH.  HAND.  And all that.
> I know nothing.)

I'm not a lawyer either :)
Cheers,
	-Robert