[H-GEN] [SLUG] Linux Questions (fwd)

David Wood dwood at plugged.net.au
Wed Jul 8 22:37:16 EDT 1998

> Hi - my name is Mandy Bryan and I write for ComputerWorld Australia. I am
> interested in two things: do you know how many users (approx) there are in
> Australia of Linux?

A tough question for a free, Net-distributed OS.  I did some research on
US and worldwide Linux market sizes and came up with these numbers:

=>  5-7 million Linux users worldwide (compared to about 200 million
users of all versions of Windows)

=>  Linux use has roughly doubled for the last three years - this is a
growth pattern that Windows currently can't match.  In short, Linux is
up-and-coming.

=>  Linux and Windows NT are the only two OSs with growing market share
(Datapro survey results)

> Secondly, I am looking for comment from Australian Linux users,
> distributors etc on the fact that Oracle, Sybase, IBM and Informix have no
> intentions of releasing versions of their databases on Linux.

Oracle has been rumored to be working on a Linux port for a while now,
in spite of official denial.  I think the above statement that they and
others have "no intentions" is typical media hype - they will respond to
any growing market when it affects them.  Full stop.

Cheers,
Dave
David Wood                | Whenever you find yourself on the side
dwood at plugged.net.au      | of the majority, it is time to reform.
http://www.plugged.net.au |                - Mark Twain