[H-GEN] ircii stuff

Byron Ellacott rodent at route-qn.uqnga.org.au
Sun Jul 5 01:56:34 EDT 1998

On Sun, Jul 05, 1998 at 03:14:54PM +1000, Michael wrote:
> > upgrade to ircii 4.4
> I could do that :>
> > run debian
> Not a chance!
that's a shame .. debian patches ircii (as well as many other
prograams) to enhance functionality, in this case, to provide colour
code support.  Or, at least, in the last version I looked at, the
colour code support was in the diff, not the orig.

> There is only one way to learn how to script, thats to do it all yourself!
> :>
I disagree :)  You do it yourself, yes, but half the skill you should
learn is when and how to use existing feaatures to save yourself (and
your processor) some time :)

> Well some lusers like to change the topic to :^Cx,y topic now when you
> strip the : and the ^Cx,y your left with a null ie a space ;)
ah, so this problem is unrelated to your colour stripping, as even
with colour codes, the space would remain.  After stripping, test to
see if the first word is ":", and if so, remove it and set the
remaining string to ":" + itself?  if not, you're fine

> > I assume you have your own code to deal with the colour codes?
> Yep, i can strip the colour codes fine, just need some tweaking on the
> topics n stuff :>
can you mail me the code?  i'd be interested to see your approach