[H-GEN] Terminal Servers

Jason Henry Parker henry at freezer.humbug.org.au
Thu Jul 2 08:06:25 EDT 1998

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 08:25:53PM +1000, Mark Suter wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Mark Suter wrote:
> > I have a small number of "DEC server 100" terminal servers, Model
> > DSRVA-AB. The back has an AUI port and eight serial ports
> > (pins 2, 3 and 7).
> There were four lots available - all have now found homes.  As to

These terminal servers are DECserver 100s.  The DS100 uses LAT and MOP
to boot, and LAT to communicate out of its AUI port.  iirc[1], the DS200
also used soley LAT, but later models supported TCP/IP, and even hardware
flow control (woo!).  There's a mopd for linux, but no LAT implementation,
since LAT is patented in the US by DEC, and they're not letting go.  :)

[1] : I just accidentally killed a mile-long DejaNews search by finding
      out what control-a \ does in screen.  :(

Apparently, you can buy a LAT license from the lovely folk at
http://www.meridiantc.com/ ... for Windows NT and 95.  DejaNews informs
me that someone did once rewrite LAT, but DEC sicced the lawyers onto
them, and the result wasn't pretty.  Or so I'm told.

So, to the other people who nabbed one, I hate to say this, but enjoy
your new doorstop.  ;(

---Jason Parker---ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au---
|``This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with|
|  which I will not put.''        -- Churchill|