[H-GEN] Diskless boxes for internet access

Steve Pinel spinel at ssc.qld.edu.au
Thu Jan 8 23:31:43 EST 1998

>Linux can boot from networked server using a boot-rom (you may need a
>boot-rom burner - but someone at HB is sure to able to lend one).  It
>mounts it's root partition via NFS and handles swap (if necessary) via
>swap files on the server.  You can run any linux program which is
>stored on your server quite easily - including X.

Our Netware server is already setup to handle Unix clients, so I presume
that it would work okay?

My understanding is that the Boot ROM allows the machine to search for the
bootstrap stuff off the network, in the Login directory on a Netware server,
so if I install Linux into that directory (\\server:Login\Linux, say), and
have the Netware setup to allow NFS access, then it should work?

Now,the Login\Linux directory will be readable by all Netware users, does
Linux need to have write access to boot up?  If that is the case, then does
that mean that anyone who wants to have a look can write to the Linux root
partion (ouch), or do I just need to make lilo.conf public, and then somehow
have the linux machine log on to the Netware server before continuing its
boot sequence.

Argghhh.  My brain is about to explode.  If anyone has done this, I would
really like to hear how it was done.  (I could always go and purchase a few
MS-DOS licenses...nahh).

Also, anyone know about the 8Mb RAM and X/Netscape issue?  Will it be
adequate?  Is anyone buying any more 4Mb 30 pin RAM modules, as has been
happening for some time now?
Steve Pinel	<><	|
Computer Coordinator	|	God our Strength
Saint Stephen's College	|	Excellence our Pursuit
Coomera, Gold Coast	|