[H-GEN] FYI: Internet access via electricity cable system (fwd)

John Elliot jelliot at gil.com.au
Mon Feb 23 14:15:33 EST 1998

At 03:48 PM 2/21/98 +1000, Ross Camm wrote:
>I have worked on simialar systems in the Electricity industry. Data over
>powerlines is nothing new and the electricity industry have been using
>it for comms and signaling for years. The technology refered to is power
>line carriers, where inductive filters are hung at each end of the line,
>and are used to filer out a carrier, which has data modulated onto it.
>You can sometimes see these filters, up to 8 feet across, and a 6 foot
>internaal diameter, with the high tension line going down the centre of
>it.
>
>The technology has recently come to the consumer in the form of hot
>water switching, and remote meter readings. I have no idea what seqb's
>plans are, but its a opportunity waiting, I would think.
>

>						Rossco

Switching hot water systems on and off is not new.  The power authorities
have been using this technology for years.  The tones sometimes break
through into Public Address systems.  Remote meter readings and
communications is a newer innovation.  Data over the power lines is
possible but not very practical when telephone lines are so cheap and
accessible.  I wonder what the maximum data rates would be for a
transmission line system?
Regards
John Elliot <jelliot at gil.com.au>