[H-GEN] FYI: Internet access via electricity cable system (fwd)

Michael Anthon anthonm at ats.com.au
Fri Feb 20 06:15:22 EST 1998

Errr.. surely they can't be serious ?  It's hard enough getting a modem to
work over a twisted copper pair at 56k and they are talking about getting
1M over open wire power transmission lines?  Gimme a break !!

I was invlolved in doinf a Power Line Carrier system a few years back.  At
100 kHz, the characteristic impedance of the standard power cable
configuration is about 5-10 ohms.  At 300kHz, this is down to about 1-2
ohms.  This would require a rather significant amount of power to drive a
signal into.  I find it difficult to reign in my scepticism at this claim.

The other issue is that the highest barrier to communications over power
lines has always been the pwoer transformers.  These rather large block of
iron tend to act as rather good HF filters whcih makes it a tad difficult
(if not impossible) to pass data through them.  It is possible to add HF
bypasses to these, but again, signal attenuation is a big problem.

Frnakly, I won't be holding my breath for SEQEB (oh, sorry, Energex) to be
installing this in my area.

Regards
Michael Anthon